주메뉴 바로가기 본문내용 바로가기

News·Publications

Home News·Publications Newsroom Newsroom
News View
FAQ for the 2024 General Assembly of A-WEB
Last updated 2024-08-23

Here are Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for the upcoming 6th General Assembly of A-WEB! 

1.  What is A-WEB?

A-WEB, the Association of World Election Bodies, is a global network of election management bodies dedicated to promoting free, fair, and transparent elections. Our mission is to support and strengthen electoral democracy worldwide by fostering collaboration and sharing best practices among election authorities.

2.      What is the General Assembly?

The General Assembly is A-WEB’s flagship biennial event, where member organizations come together to discuss key issues, share insights, and make strategic decisions for the Association. This gathering serves as a critical platform for networking, knowledge exchange, and collaborative problem-solving.

3.      When and where will the 6th General Assembly be held?

The 6th General Assembly will take place on 23 October 2024 in Bogotá, Colombia.

4.      What are the objectives of the 6th General Assembly?

The 6th General Assembly aims to:

-Discuss and decide on the agenda.

-Strengthen cooperation among A-WEB member organizations.

-Celebrate Democracy Week with an international conference focused on promoting democratic processes.

5.      What will the agenda of the General Assembly mainly include?

The 6th General Assembly (GA) will feature:

-Inauguration of the New Chair: Official ceremony to welcome the new Chair of A-WEB.

-Report Presentation: Review of progress and financial reports since the last GA.

-Approval Items: Election of the Vice-Chairperson and new Executive Board members (one for America, two for Africa, and three for Europe).

-Discussion Items: Strategic discussions on trends, challenges, and innovations in electoral management and new policies for the upcoming term.

6.      Who will participate in the General Assembly?

Member Election Management Bodies of A-WEB. The GA will gather more than 150 delegates from A-WEB member organizations, including heads of election management bodies, senior officials, and key stakeholders in electoral democracy.

7.      Why is attending the General Assembly crucial for member organizations?

Attending the General Assembly (GA) is vital for member organizations as it provides a unique opportunity to:

-Influence Decisions: Participate in key decision-making processes that shape the future direction of A-WEB.

-Elect Leadership: Vote for the new Vice-Chairperson and elect the Executive Board members who will steer A-WEB’s activities and initiatives.

-Shape Strategic Initiatives: Contribute to the discussion and approval of strategic plans and policies that impact global electoral management.

-Network and Collaborate: Connect with peers, share experiences, and build partnerships with other election management bodies and stakeholders.

8.      What are the benefits of attending in person?

-Direct Participation: Engage actively in discussions, workshops, and decision-making processes.

-Enhanced Networking: Build stronger relationships with other delegates and stakeholders in the field of electoral democracy.

-Immediate Insights: Gain firsthand knowledge of the latest trends, challenges, and innovations in electoral management.

-Representation: Ensure your organization’s interests and perspectives are represented in the strategic planning and decision-making.

9.      How does attendance impact an organization’s role within A-WEB?

- Active participation in the GA reinforces an organization’s commitment to A-WEB’s mission;

-Strengthens Influence: Enhances the organization’s ability to influence key decisions and policies.

-Promotes Visibility: Increases visibility and involvement in A-WEB’s activities and initiatives.

-Builds Credibility: Demonstrates a commitment to global electoral democracy and collaboration with other EMBs.

10.  What is the main Program of the GA?

- 22 October: Arrival of all the participants

- 23 October: General Assembly meeting, Democracy Week Festival, Official Dinner

- 24 October: Culture Day

- 25 October: Departure of the participants

11.  How can we prepare for the GA?

- Confirm the participants and notice them to the Secretariat

- Proceed with the visa procedure (if required)

- Registration  

- Review Agenda: Familiarize yourself with the agenda and key issues to be discussed and approved

- Coordinate Representation: Ensure your organization’s representatives are well-prepared and informed about the discussions and decisions.

12.  What are the key dates to remember?

- Notice on the participation in the GA to the Secretariat: ASAP   

- Submission of Registration Forms: until September 23, 2024 

- Submission of Flight Itineraries: October 4, 2024 

- Event Dates: October 21 to 25, 2024 

- General Assembly Meeting: October 23, 2024

13.  How do I register for the event? 

Please complete the enclosed Registration Form and submit it by September 23, 2024. Ensure that you also send the flight itineraries to the A-WEB Secretariat by October 4, 2024.

14.  Where can I find the registration form and logistic note?

The Registration Form and Logistic Note are enclosed with the invitation letter sent out on July 22, 2024 by the A-WEB Secretariat. Please ensure you review these documents carefully and complete the registration as instructed.

15.  What if I miss the registration or submission deadlines?

Submissions received after the deadlines may affect the arrangements for airport-hotel transfers and other logistical aspects. Thus, it is highly recommended to finish registration as soon as possible.

16.  Can we extend our stay or bring additional representatives? 

Any extensions to your stay or additional representatives will need to be arranged independently, as the hosts will only cover accommodation and local transportation for two representatives per EMB.

17.  What should I do if my flight itinerary changes?

Notify the A-WEB Secretariat as soon as possible with updated flight information to ensure that transportation arrangements can be adjusted accordingly.

18.  Will there be any specific health or vaccination requirements?

Participants are advised to check with their local health authorities and the Colombian embassy regarding any vaccination or health requirements prior to travel.

19.  Is there a dress code for the event? Business formal attire is recommended for the General Assembly and related events; Moreover, casual wearing is suggested on cultural-day event. 

20.  What costs are covered by the hosts?

The hosts will cover the accommodation and meals for 2 participants from each member EMB from 22 October to 25 October.

21.  What costs should be covered by participants? Participants are responsible for their own airfare, VISA fee and assurance.

22.  Do I need a visa to visit Colombia for the General Assembly?

Visa requirements for Colombia depend on your nationality. Some countries’ citizens can enter Colombia for short visits without a visa, while others will need to obtain a visa prior to arrival.

23.  How can I find out if I need a visa?

To determine if you need a visa, check the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or consult the nearest Colombian embassy or consulate. They will provide the most accurate and up-to-date information based on your citizenship.

24.  What types of visas are available for attending the General Assembly?

For attending the General Assembly, you will typically require a Short Stay Visa (Visitor Visa)/ Event Visa. This visa allows you to stay in Colombia for the duration of the event.

25.  How do I apply for a visa?

For details please check Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or our guidebook.

26.  How long does it take to process a visa?

Visa processing times can vary depending on your nationality and the volume of applications. It is advisable to apply as early as possible, ideally several months before the General Assembly, to allow sufficient time for processing.

27.  What should I do if my visa application is denied? If your visa application is denied, you may appeal the decision or reapply with additional documentation. Contact the Colombian embassy or consulate for guidance on the next steps and possible remedies.

28.  Who can I contact for more information?

For more details regarding the 6th General Assembly, please contact us at aweb131014@gmail.com. You can also visit our website at www.aweb.org or FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/thisisAWEB.