- The Chairperson of A-WEB serves as the head of the association for a term of two years and presides over the General Assembly and the Executive Board meeting.
- Organization: Electoral Commission of South Africa
- Position: Chairperson
Chairperson of the Association of World Election Bodies Mosotho Moepya
Mr. Mosotho Moepya is the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa, following his appointment in October 2022. He is an electoral management practitioner with extensive elections management experience. Moepya was appointed Commissioner in November 2018 for a term of seven years. He has held various positions at the Electoral Commission since working at the Chapter 9 institution in 1998, including Director for Electoral Logistics; Senior Manager for Electoral Logistics, Planning and Infrastructure; Deputy Chief Electoral Officer for Electoral Operations; and Chief Electoral Officer.
He has completed several continental consulting assignments in managing elections, democratic governance, peace building and electoral conflict resolution.
These assignments included work completed with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA), the African Union Commission (AUC), the Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA), and the Electoral Commissions Forum of SADC Countries.
The highlights of his career include but are not restricted to:
- · Served as a member of a team comprising judicial figures and experienced election practitioners that reviewed the Accra Principles on Electoral Justice;
- · Provided technical expertise to the joint United Nations and East African Community (EAC) forum that did a Peer Review on the EAC Draft Principles for Election Observation;
- · Led the IEC team that provided technical assistance to the National Election Commission of Tanzania;
- · Led the Commission team that offered technical assistance to the Democratic Republic of Congo with their first democratic elections in 2006;
- · He represented the Commission on technical assistance assignments and observer missions and delivered papers at conferences across the continent and the world.
Before he started his career in elections management, Moepya held senior positions in the private sector. He worked for Unilever South Africa, Transnet Freight Rail, Barloworld and the Bidvest Group. He has a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degree and other commercial degrees.