주메뉴 바로가기 본문내용 바로가기

News·Publications

Home News·Publications Newsroom Press Release Press Release
News View
<Local News Agency Incheon Ilbo> World Council of Election Organizations
Last updated 2023-12-04

Even after democratization, democracy was maintained through elections. Democracy, which ended a long dictatorship, and the end of apartheid in South Africa were established through democratic elections. “Democracy is no longer new to Koreans who have run successful elections,” said Mosoto Moefiya, chairman of the World Council of Election Bodies, who serves as chair of the South African Election Commission. “The council has also grown dynamically over the past 10 years, making elections around the world transparent and fair.” “It contributed to managing it properly,” he said. To celebrate its 10th anniversary, the World Council of Election Organizations, which held a conference on the 12th in Songdo International City, Incheon, and Shin Yong-seok, Special Advisor for International Cooperation of the Incheon Free Economic Zone Authority, met. The World Council of Election Organizations, which took its first steps in Incheon, has grown into an international organization with 121 election organizations from 111 countries around the world joining. Democracy is now asking questions about today's elections from Incheon to the world.

I have been to South Africa several times. I also remember meeting former President Nelson Mandela twice.

-That's cool. You're no different from South Africans. (Laughs)

I understand that it has been two years since you took office as chairman. Did you know Korea before joining the council? I am also curious about your evaluation of the Korean election system.

-I've never been to Korea, but I have a lot of good friends. Koreans in South Africa. I have not yet been able to watch the Korean election live. However, I know very well that Korea has conducted elections well and that the people are familiar with elections. This means that democracy is not new to Koreans but is familiar to them. South Africa is still a young democracy. He is 29 years old, much younger than me.

As you know, there are no problems in countries that apply the parliamentary system. However, Korea, the United States, and France have presidential systems. Even the United States has problems with its electoral system. Because presidential elections are complicated. Do you know that there is criticism of the election system in Korea as well?

-Every election has faced challenges. We know that elections cannot be 100% satisfactory. Still, I think you should believe in elections and hold elections that make everyone happy. Of course, because elections are competitive, someone will lose and someone will win. And losers may not want to believe the results.

I believe that the electoral system is the most important in maintaining democracy. How can we continue to operate the electoral system effectively?

-I completely agree with the opinion that the electoral system is important. Those who conduct elections must carry out their work honestly, and the public must be able to view the elections transparently. If elections are transparent and have checks and balances, people will have confidence in the electoral system. And those who win elections must have a clear perspective and an attitude of gratitude. If the election process is questioned, it will be criticized by the losers. It's important to be transparent. If there is nothing to question in an election, even those who lose accept the results.

More than 100 countries are members of the World Council of Election Organizations. How are member states determined?

-It's a recruiting method, but that's not all. I think sharing experiences is the most important. The Council is an international organization and has the advantage of having diverse member countries around the world. Some countries have established electoral democracy, and others take a serious approach to council activities. We want to specialize as much as possible. There are over 120 election management organizations participating, but we have built a foundation that can handle them. In general, developing countries are joining as member countries, which is important because they are developing. Some of them have already made significant progress. We had a meeting with a member country today as well. They were talking about election observation. It's about sharing experiences. I think the process of understanding what we do is accelerating.

Excluding Korea, could you please name three countries with the most fair, beautiful, and wonderful election systems in the world? South Africa? (Everyone laughs)

-This is a very difficult question. Of course, I often work in Africa. There have been many changes in Africa, and I think of the good things it has. So I want to focus on Africa. This is because Africa will continue to rely more heavily on democracy. The way elections are conducted in South Africa, Malawi and Kenya is improving significantly. I watched the process. Ghana is also one of the places where elections are advanced.

Council activities will be important for many countries to introduce a fair election system, but there will likely be difficulties with the current size of the secretariat.

-10 years is not a long time. Still, I think what we have achieved in 10 years is an incredible achievement. We must do much more in the next 10 years and beyond. We need to see democracy developing and electoral practices improving in many countries. By forming networks and taking on observer missions, we can work together to learn from each other. We are improving elections not only for our member countries, but for the world. We will continue to support and represent it to the world.

출처 : 인천일보(https://www.incheonilbo.com)

https://www.incheonilbo.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1217002

민주화 이후에도 민주주의는 선거로 지탱됐다. 기나긴 독재를 끝낸 민주주의도, 남아프리카공화국에서의 아파르트헤이트(인종 차별 정책) 종식도 민주적인 선거를 통해 자리잡을 있었다. 남아공선거위원장을 맡고 있는 모소토 모에피야 세계선거기관협의회 의장은선거를 치러왔던 한국인들에게 민주주의는 이상 새롭지 않다지난 10년간 협의회도 역동적으로 성장하며 세계 선거가 투명하고 공정하게 관리되는 기여했다 말했다. 창립 10주년을 맞아 인천 송도국제도시에서 지난 12 컨퍼런스를 개최한 세계선거기관협의회와 신용석 인천경제자유구역청 국제협력특보가 만남을 가졌다. 인천에서 첫발을 세계선거기관협의회는 세계 111 국의 121 선거기관이 가입한 국제기구로 발돋움했다. 민주주의는 이제 인천에서 세계를 향해 오늘날 선거에 관한 질문을 던지고 있다.

▲남아공에 여러 차례 가봤습니다. 넬슨 만델라 대통령도 정도 만났던 기억이 납니다.

-멋집니다. 남아공 사람이나 다름없네요.(웃음)

▲의장으로 취임한 2년째인 것으로 알고 있습니다. 협의회에 몸담기 전에 한국을 알고 있었나요? 한국 선거제도에 대해선 어떻게 평가하시는지도 궁금합니다.

-한국에 와본 적은 없었지만, 좋은 친구들이 많이 있습니다. 남아공에 있는 한국인들이요. 아직 한국 선거를 현장에서 지켜보진 못했습니다. 다만 한국이 선거를 치러왔다는 것과 국민들이 선거에 익숙하다는 것을 알고 있습니다. 한국인들에게는 민주주의가 새롭지 않고 익숙하다는 의미입니다. 남아공은 아직 젊은 민주주의입니다. 저보다도 훨씬 어린 스물 아홉 살입니다.

▲아시다시피 의원내각제를 적용하는 나라들은 문제가 없습니다. 하지만 한국과 미국, 프랑스는 대통령제입니다. 심지어 미국도 선거제도에 문제를 안고 있습니다. 대통령 선거가 복잡하기 때문입니다. 한국에서도 선거제도에 대한 비판이 있다는 아십니까.

-모든 선거는 도전에 직면해왔습니다. 선거는 100% 만족될 없다는 것을 알고 있습니다. 그래도 여러분들이 선거를 믿고 모든 사람들이 행복해질 있는 선거를 해야 한다고 생각합니다. 물론 선거에선 경쟁이 벌어지기 때문에 누군가는 지고, 누군가는 이길 것입니다. 그리고 패자들은 결과를 믿고 싶어 하지 않을 수도 있습니다.

▲민주주의를 유지하는 선거제도가 가장 중요하다고 생각합니다. 어떻게 하면 선거제도를 실효성 있게 지속적으로 운용할 있을까요.

-선거제도가 중요하다는 의견에 전적으로 동의합니다. 선거를 실시하는 사람들이 정직하게 일을 수행하고, 국민들이 선거를 투명하게 있어야 합니다. 선거가 투명해지고, 견제와 균형이 이뤄지면 사람들은 선거제도에 자신감을 가질 것입니다. 그리고 선거에서 승리한 사람들은 명확한 시각과 감사하는 자세를 갖고 있어야 합니다. 선거 과정에 의문이 생긴다면 패자들로부터 비판을 받게 됩니다. 투명하게 하는 것이 중요합니다. 선거에서 문제삼을 만한 것이 없으면 패배한 사람들도 결과를 받아들입니다.

▲세계선거기관협의회에서 100여개 나라들이 가입돼 있습니다. 회원국은 어떻게 결정됩니까.

-모집하는 방식이지만 그게 전부는 아닙니다. 경험을 공유하는 일이 가장 중요하다고 생각합니다. 협의회는 국제기구이고, 세계적으로 회원국이 다양하다는 장점을 지닙니다. 선거 민주주의가 정착된 나라들도 있고, 협의회 활동에 대해 진지하게 접근하는 나라들도 있습니다. 최대한 전문화하고자 합니다. 120여개 선거 관리 기관이 참여하고 있지만 우리는 이를 감당할 만한 기반을 다져왔습니다. 대체로 개발도상국들이 회원국으로 가입하고 있는데 나라들이 발전하고 있다는 점에서 중요합니다. 그들 일부는 이미 상당한 발전을 이뤘습니다. 오늘도 회원국과 회의를 가졌습니다. 그들은 선거 참관에 대해 이야기하고 있었습니다. 경험을 공유하는 것이죠. 우리가 하는 일을 이해하는 과정이 가속화하고 있다고 생각합니다.

▲한국을 제외하고 세계에서 가장 공정하고, 아름답고, 멋진 선거제도를 가진 나라를 꼽아주시겠습니까. 남아공?(일동 웃음)

-굉장히 어려운 질문입니다. 물론 저는 아프리카에서 일을 자주 합니다. 아프리카에선 많은 변화가 있었고, 그곳이 지닌 좋은 점들을 생각합니다. 그래서 아프리카에 집중하고 싶습니다. 앞으로도 아프리카는 민주주의에 더욱 많이 의지해야 하는 곳이기 때문입니다. 남아공과 말라위, 케냐에서 선거를 치르는 방식이 상당히 향상되고 있습니다. 과정을 지켜봤습니다. 가나 또한 선거가 발전된 가운데 하나입니다.

▲공정한 선거제도를 많은 나라들이 도입하려면 협의회 활동이 중요할 텐데, 현재 사무처 규모로는 어려움도 있을것으로 보입니다.

-10년은 시간이 아닙니다. 그래도 10 사이에 우리가 성취한 대단한 업적이라고 생각합니다. 앞으로 10, 그리고 이후에도 우리는 훨씬 많은 일을 해야 합니다. 많은 국가에서 민주주의가 발전하고, 선거 관행이 개선되는 모습을 지켜봐야 합니다. 네트워크를 형성하고 관찰자 임무를 수행하면 서로에게서 배우는 방법으로 일을 해나갈 있습니다. 우리는 회원국들뿐 아니라 세계를 위해 선거를 개선하고 있습니다. 세계를 향해서 우리는 계속 그것을 지지하고 대변할 것입니다.