주메뉴 바로가기 본문내용 바로가기

News·Publications

Home News·Publications Newsroom Newsroom
News View
Fijian Elections Office Information Security Intensive Training
Last updated 2019-05-28

"Since A-WEB became a great bridge between Fiji and South Korea, we were able to come to South Korea and experience the wealth of knowledge to enhance our skills on ICT.”

"I got to learn way much more in this course compared to what I would have learned on my own theory research and trial for years..“

- Comments from trainees of Information Security Intensive Training Program -  

The Fijian Elections Office Information(FEO) Security Intensive Training Program, led by the Project Department of the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB), was held from 8th to 16th of May 2019. This Program is a intensive follow-up course in Information Security Training that was held on March 2019 in Fiji. With the great passion for learning new skills and knowledge, the Program was successfully ended up.

▲Commemorative Photo after the Closing Ceremony of the Program

Based on the courses conducted in Fiji this March, the follow-up Program provided hands-on training of ‘Cyber Incidents Response System’, ‘Network-Hacking Protection’, and ‘Web-Vulnerabilities Diagnosis with Security Setting’, along with specialized laptops with over 17 IT programs installed. The trainees were able to not only analyze actual hacking cases, but also deal with cyber attacks by accurate diagnosis of the attacks and configuration scenarios for security.

▲Experts from FEO, participating in the hands-on training

The Training Program of A-WEB aims to foster close communication between the lecturers and trainees to help trainees to advance their knowledge and skills of management of electoral procedures using ICT. Thanks to the lectures’ active-communicative approach, more opportunities were provided for trainees to deeply practice programs, which gave them a solid agenda to apply these experiences to the working process in FEO.

"Once I go back to my country, I will fully utilize the skills and knowledge earned through the Program in our working process and also we will have a presentation to pass on what we’ve learned for those who were not able to attend this Program."

- Comments from a trainee of the Information Security Intensive Training Program-   

▲The trainees, experiencing the Korean Election Information System

The Evaluation Result : 192% increase
In order to  evaluate the impact of the training, the Pre Training Assessment (PTA) and Post Training Evaluation (PTE) were administered. Evaluation criteria were ‘Cyber Incidents Response System’, ‘System Hacking’, and ‘Web-Applications’, etc. While the average score was 42.5 out of 100 points in the PTA, it was marked by 81.75 points in the PTE. Hence, the results show significant improvement in knowledge of the trainees as the overall average score of evaluation reached 192.35% increase.

Achievement of 98% Satisfaction Rate

This high achievement of trainees can be seen through the Satisfaction Survey Results of each subject. The Project Department of A-WEB conducted a satisfaction survey on each subject after each lecture and overall satisfaction-survey after the entire completion of the program to complement and design better training program in the future. 

The questionnaires included all the lecture contents such as the topics, results, and future utilization, and an average score was 4.8 out of 5 points in each lecture. In case of the overall satisfaction survey of the program, the Project Department of A-WEB conducted the surveys on preparation, performance, sustainability, and future utilization. As a result, the average satisfaction scores was 4.88 out of 5 points, which shows a fact that trainees were very satisfied with every session of the Program.

The A-WEB has been closely cooperating with its member countries through a number of Country Projects reflecting member organizations’ needs that aim to further enhance transparency and accuracy of electoral procedures. One of the main factors of successful Country Projects is to support strengthening capacity of IT personnels of the organization where the Project has been conducted so that the organization is to independently operate their own electoral management systems. The information security is the most important fundamental factor in operating the ICT based electoral system. In this context, it is expected this Training will support establishing more intensified ICT based electoral environment in FEO in the long term.